September 3, 2008

Friendship

I met up with an old friend for lunch today. It was nice. She and I use to be really close and have drifted apart over the years. Mostly, my fault. You see, I just don't like people. My kids tease me about that all the time. They are pretty much right. I don't know why that is. I am sure it has something to do with my mother. Yes, it's all mom's fault. Boy, now that is a line I have heard before. You know, I have alluded to my childhood before and about how difficult it was. I am certain that there are some social skills that I just don't have because of it. But that is no excuse now. So, I am been trying to work on that part of me. I miss my friend, she has gone through a difficult time in the past year or so. I know that others were there for her, but not me. Not that she needs me, it just hurts to know that she suffered and I wasn't around. She is doing great now, and that makes me happy. I have another friend who is in the midst of a crisis. I ache for her. I guess that is why I wanted to get reacquainted with this lost friend. I have finally realized that I am not an island. I am not self sufficient. I guess... I need people. There I said it. Are you happy now?

No comments: