January 12, 2009

Me, the Movie Critic?

Ok, here is a list of the movies I have seen in the past month or so. It's a lot. Disclaimer. Look away from the computer if you don't want to know any of the details of the following movies:

The Reader
Jeff and I wanted to see Slumdog Millionaire. It was sold out and so we saw this instead. Ok this movie was pretty good. I don't think they billed it correctly, I think the poster in the theater said something about it being a wonderful, feel good movie. Ok, it's about an older woman (Kate Winslet) who seduces a 15 year old boy. Then you find out that she was a Nazi prison guard that was responsible for killing at least 300 women. Then the 15 year old grows up and never has a long term relationship with a woman because of her. A good movie.
Across the Universe -dvd
Fabulous, loved it. I thought it would be all drugs, sex, etc but it wasn't, or maybe I am really naive. It was great.
Made of Honor - dvd
Exactly what you expect it to be . . . cheesy. But still cute.
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
I read the book and it was really good, I mean we're talking F. Scot Fitzgerald here. The movie's special effects were good, but the 'new' story line made no sense and I think it ruined the movie. This movie was long and slow. So slow in fact that when we went into the theater it was 2008 when we came out it was 2009!
The Golden Compass - cable
I told my children they could not under any circumstance watch this movie. Then, I watched it. They found out and gave me grief. I was very beautifully made, costumes, etc. I don't know any of the background, haven't read the book. So I guess if you don't know all that stuff that is suppose to be hidden between the lines, you're good.
Let the Right One In - subtitles
I wanted to see The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I saw this instead. Spooky. I don't like scary movies and I saw the scariest movie ever. It's about a little girl, and she's the vampire! It is set in Russia or somewhere like that, scared the dickens out of me, but very good.
Twilight
Another vamp movie. I enjoyed it, I like movies with a happy ending. I know that doesn't make sense considering it's a vamp movie. But it was cute. Justine bought me the book, so let's see how it measures up.

No comments: