January 7, 2010

Granddaddy killed the King of England

Actually Great Grandaddy X 13. I suspect that not very many folks can say that. But, tis true. I was working on a ancestry gift for my little brother for Christmas and I decided to frame this picture of my dad and then list his heritage on the Thomas side as far as I could go. And since Jim is the only Thomas male in our branch of the family I figured he would really get a kick out of it, and he did!

The finished product looked a little like this, but in a beautiful frame with mat, sorry I didn't take a picture of it.



Frank Lawrence Thomas, Jr
B 5 Oct 1925 Coleman County, TX - D 19 May 1992 Dallas, TX


Frank Lawrence Thomas, Sr.
B 31 July 1886 Texas -D 29 Nov 1967 Bangs, Brown, TX


Joseph Smith Thomas
B 21 Jan 1862 TX -D 24 Dec 1953 Coleman, TX

Asbury S “Seth” Thomas
B 26 Aug 1833 TN -D 5 Feb 1904 Denton, TX

William Thomas
B 1810 Polk, TN - D 1850 LA


William Thomas
B 17 Jan 1790 Galax, Grayson, VA -D 17 May 1866 Edgewater, Grayson, VA

Jonathan Thomas
B 29 Nov 1762 Orange, NC -D 13 Dec 1838 Bridle Creek, Grayson, VA

Owen Thomas
B 1731 Grayson, VA -D 1769 Orange, NC


John KL Thomas
B 22 Sept 1710 Pender, Edgecombe, NC -D 1751 Edgecombe, NC

William Thomas
B 1660 Isle of Wight, VA -D 1710 Isle of Wight, VA

Philip Thomas


John Thomas
B 1628 Queens Creek York, VA- D 1655 James City, Nansemond, VA

John Thomas
B 1585 Carmarthenshire, Wales -D 1653 Queens Creek, York, VA

Jeven Thomas
1555

Rhys Ap Thomas
B 1449 Cantref Mawr, Carmarthenshire, Wales -D 1526 Carmarthenshire, Wales


Thomas Ap Gruffudd
B 1425 Cantref Mawr, Carmarthenshire, Wales -D 1474 Bardsey Island, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Gruffudd Ap Nicolas
B 1393, Maenordeilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales -D 2 Jan 1461, Hereford, Herefordshire, England


Nicolas Ap Philip
1367, Maenordeilo, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Philip Ap Elidir FitzUryan
1320, Dyenevor, Glam, Wales

Elidir Ddu Ap Elidir
1246-1283, Llandeilo Fawr, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Rhys Ap Gronwy
1190, Carmarthenshire, Wales


Gronwy Ap Einion
1160, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Einion Ap Llywarch
1130, Carmarthenshire, Wales

Llywarch Ap Cynhaethwy
1190, Wales

Cynhaethwy Ap Gwrwared

1070, Wales

Gwrwared Ap Seisyll
1050, Wales

Seisyll Ap Rhun
Wales

As you can see, I wasn't always a Thomas. Ap means 'son of' or something like that, and way back then fellas took their dad's first name as their last and so forth until about 1500 or so and then we became Thomas. See the fellow marked in red. Yep, that's him. He killed King Richard and even served Henry VII and VIII. You can read more about it here . It's very interesting reading and I guess... well somebody's gotta be related to him, right? I didn't know any of this stuff until I had given Jim his gift, he was so excited that he started researching the older names on the list. And bam, that's when he found it. We had our own castle and everything. We also learned that some of those other guys were part of 'The Crusade'. Apparently one Great-Granddad is also the Great-Granddad of HRH Charles. Hmm. Somehow I think I might have gotten the rotten side of the tree. Next thing you know, I will find out that I am descendant from . . . the 'Doubting Thomas'.

Oh Daddy, how I wish you were here to discover all this history with us. Missing you still....
julie lynn

ps - Thanks Cuzn' Jimmy for all your hard work on this ancestry junk, you are so much better at it than I am. ;)



1 comment:

Cara said...

Amazing!!!! Love hearing stories like this! Thanks for sharing!